Section 5 - Committing

Activity - Love Letter

     Writing this love letter made me feel so very grateful for Natalie and the wonderful woman that she is. Ah! I am so, so lucky. She told me I was "so romantic." Cha ching... 10 points for Gryffindor. But seriously, I need to do this more often.

Things from Class

  1. "Never more like our Heavenly Parents than when we engage in a loving, creative sexual experience" - I think the key words here are loving and creative. People aren't like their heavenly parents when they are just having sex with someone random for a thrill, but a loving and creative sexual experience between husband and wife is Godly.
  2. personal line and the priesthood line - I found this profound because before I heard it I often struggled to find the balance between personal revelation and top-down revelation. This was a great point, that we need both to be whole and that each have different domains (or sex life being mostly within the personal line of communication).
  3. Sexual Self-Processing - This is an important practice that allows us to understand where various sexual perceptions are coming from and which ones to keep and which to throw away.
  4. Weddings cost - This was just an interesting fact because women who spend 20,000 or more on their wedding are 3.9 times more likely to have a marriage end in divorce. That's astounding and it must be because money isn't what its all about.
  5. Mad Money - Mad money is an amount of money that is set aside for each partner to have and be able to spend on their own. So important!
  6. Desire phase following the arousal phase - Important for me to remember that my wife may experience desire and arousal in the opposite order that I do. That way, I can be more understanding and not feel hurt if she isn't initially interested.
  7. Loving vs Strained Relationship - The diagram Tammy wants tattooed on my back. Sexual function or disfunction is totally tied to the nature of the relationship. Is it loving or is it strained?
  8. Psychosocial Reasons - These can lead to conflict/difficulty in a sexual relationship, but can also just be that different actions mean different things to different people.
  9. Divine Triangle - When it comes down to it, God knows the answer to all sexual problems, so we can always turn to him. He has given us sex, so it is appropriate to approach him about it.
  10. Tantric Sex - Genitals stay in contact and bodies move around that connection. This sounds like a nice approach because it is far less goal-oriented and more relationship oriented.

What are you going to do?

     Make a financial plan for the next year as well as long-term goals. I already know basically how much I will make, for I have accepted a job offer with a company for after school. Given that, it is a matter of sitting down with Natalie and talking priorities, and coming up with a timeline! I think that with any goal that timeline is important, and finances are no different.

     On our wedding night, I will make sure that my wife is plenty aroused and that everything is taken as slow as is necessary for it to be a positive experience for her as well as me. We both want this to be a positive first experience with each other, and I know that slowing down and just enjoying my wife's company will be the best thing to ensure that.

Other Resources

Thoughts on Marriage Compatibility

      From President Kimball, "The sexual side of marriage is closely linked with the emotional and personal elements in the relationship. … What the married couple have to achieve, therefore, is a sex relationship that expresses, sustains, and renews their deepest and most tender feelings for each other."

I thought this was so profound and I want to always remember that sex is a means to express love and grow in deep and tender feeling. It isn't an end in and of itself. Sex is ordained of God, and what a blessing it is! It is also important that sex is linked with the emotional and personal elements in marriage. We should never strive to bring them out of joint. They should always be connected.

Sexual intimacy is sacred and beautiful

     "Some parents... may also feel ill-qualified to teach about something they are currently struggling with." This quote and article underscore the truism that a healthy sexual relationship between the parents is also good for the kids! If we are uncomfortable and struggle with sex ourselves, how ever are we supposed to impart sexual understanding and health to our children. I think it is so important to keep all this in mind as I develop my sexual relationship with my wife. That's why I wanted to remember this.

   



Comments